Monday, February 21, 2011

Chiang Mai: Monks, Markets & Homng fabrics

I spent 3 nights & 4 days in Chiang Mai and really just walked and walked and ate oh and bought some stuff....

Chiang Mai

The highlight of Chiang Mai for me was a really great night market which I loved- it doesn't even start until 8pm, totally on my schedule. Night shopping = not too hot & not too tired. I did take my one epic day trip out of town to Wat Rong Kuhn, the Buddhist temple being built by contemporary Thai artist Chalermchai Kositpipat. Aside from the night market my other finds in Chiang Mai were Pats Klangviang the guest house I stayed at for about $45 a night. Totally beautiful, clean and cozy and included a great breakfast and the owner, Pat, is really helpful and sweet. I stumbled upon the Hmong market when wandering one day and since I was solo I spent hours sorting thought piles of fabrics picking out my favorite pieces to bring home. And as you may know or learn if you read about Chiang Mai, it is known for it's temples that are almost on every single block. Your eyes are bombarded with constant ornate buildings and orange robed monks are everywhere. It's a beautiful city, and a nice calm break from the insanity of Bangkok. I booked my flight on Bangkok Airways a head of time and it was about $150 RT, so the entire 4 day trip was fairly cheep too.

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai
guest house breakfast

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai
soap carver

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai
You could buy hard boiled eggs cooked in the hot springs! It was really early and I didn't, but should of.

Banana, egg & chocolate rotee

Banana, egg & chocolate rotee
The most amazing banana, egg & chocolate rotee.

Chiang Mai
Making Poms!

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai

Full Chiang Mai photo set here.

No comments: