Sunday, December 19, 2010

A MIDWEST STORY

I'm sure some of you shop keeps, designers and curators will know the satisfaction of seeing someone wearing a design you made, hearing a story about how much someone likes the work they bought from you or seeing photos of what one has done with work they have bought. This is a quick post to share with you a story that was shared with me.

Sky High pop-up boutique

At the pop-up this season there was a total of 24 midwest doily's for sale that I had commissioned for the shop. I posted some images online and sold a few to folks out of town. One piece I sold was to Daniel Arnold, who happens to be father of Sofia Arnold (our current mural artist at the Sky High Gallery pop-up) and husband to Susan Johnson, owner of Avalanche Looms, whom I blogged about this past September.

A few weeks after shipping his order I received an email from him with these two photos and the following story [reprinted with permission].

Framed Midwest by Daniel Arnold

Faythe-
I hope you don't think this is to corny- I was seeing this headed to my parents home, and they, although not living in the midwest, are the essence of it. Sort of a roots reminder for them this Christmas. I stripped and refinished then recut a walnut thrift store frame, stitched the crochet piece to a backing of antique wallpaper that survived the fire in my shop, and put it behind a crazy wavy piece of antique glass, my favorite. Every pane of glass in our old house is wavy, the ones that were clear I replaced with old. Maybe that is part of how Sofia learned to see the world in a different way.

I'm quite happy you had the inspiration to commission the work.

Thanks,
Daniel


Framed Midwest by Daniel Arnold
A bit touchy to photograph with the beautiful bright day outside.

My summary: this email and story made my month and what an amazing family full of inspiration. Thanks Daniel.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

two daniel arnolds!

Faythe Levine said...

Daniel, It was very confusing when you both emailed me within a day of each other. Took me a moment to make the separation!